Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Reading Aloud and the Magic of Poetry

Shel Silverstein, Ogden Nash, Edward Lear, AA Milne, Dennis Lee .... who can read good poetry and NOT want to read it aloud?

Right now Nature Girl and I are doing an "I'll Read, You Read" walk through Where The Sidewalk Ends (and she'll be firm on pointing out it is the anniversary edition with the poem "The Truth about Turtles")

If anyone ever doubts the power and benefit of social stories or curative storytelling with inattentive children have them present that child with Shel Silverstein's poem THE LOSER


The Loser

Mama said I'd lose my head
If it wasn't fastened on.
Today I guess it wasn't
'Cause while playing with my cousin
It fell off and rolled away
And now it's gone.
And I can't look for it,
'cause my eyes are in it
And I can't call to it
Cause my mouth is on it
(Couldn't hear me anyway
'Cause my ears are on it),
Can't even think about it
'Cause my brain is in it.
So I guess I'll sit down
On this rock
And rest for just a minute....












The Loser



I got to this poem and was affronted by the title and wasn't going to
read it but Nature Girl grabbed the book and said
"I love this one! I'M going to read it!"

No comments: