Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Water Cycle and Poetry Month

We've been studying the water cycle. We live in a fabulous place for it because within a thirty minute drive we can experience EVERYTHING from a mountain stream to lakes, to winding rivers, to waterfalls, to the ocean, and the world's strongest highest tides. It's very concrete.


Thomas Locker has written some of the most beautiful poetic books that combine science with art. Nature Girl has been POURING over, BATHING in the beauty of his book - WATER DANCE (and CLOUD DANCE).

Yesterday she and Wild Thing wrote and illustrated rain poems.

Wild Thing's poem:

RAIN TOYS!

bow and arrows
water guns
swords
puddles
my yellow booties
rain in my mouth
rain in my bucket
MUD!

Nature Girl's poem:

Rainy days in the city are boring:

You fight
You cry
You snarl
You're bored

You can't go outside:

It's wet
People can't see you on the street
The deck is slippery
There are no puddles you can play in
You might splash someone

I wish it was sunny.

Once I upload them I'll post their drawings.